Thursday, July 19, 2012

Happy birthday to me, again

FORTY.

Well, now that it's here, I feel a vague sense of acceptance.  I'm not sure if that's because I'm finally wise and mature, or because I've been beaten down.  Same thing, really.

Today I am not going in to work because I have big plans.  Or something.  Whatever, that is beside the point.  The point is that yesterday my co-workers partied like it was 1972.  Except without the disco or the bell bottoms, which everyone appreciated in a general sort of way.

This is what I walked in to:

My desk!

Black roses are a nice touch...

I was barely in the door before a crowd had assembled to sing me happy birthday.  I blushed and was fairly embarrassed by the whole ordeal, but honestly, it was also sort of nice.  These people actually LIKE me!  That's just good for my self esteem right there.

Next came my present:

Arthritis cream stuff, stool softener,
bladder control liners.  AWESOME.
I can cross that off my list, then.

Stacey made me a Texas Sheet Cake, all natural, stayed up until 11 p.m. the night before or something, now THAT is a friend.  I should have taken a picture of that cake because it was a thing of beauty.  I had two pieces and a gut bomb.  It was fantastic.  Oh, and she also got carried away with the confetti. My desk, my phone, and my computer were covered in it.  I was tracking it around the office with me everywhere I went.  That was pretty fun, actually.

Later Stacey remembered she had this hat--"I disinfected it and everything!"--that she wanted me to wear.  I was like, hold up, who wore it last that it needed disinfecting?  And she was like, oh, just Adam, and he's fine, but sometimes people are weird about that sort of thing so I figured, why not Lysol it between uses?  

Okay, then.

Stacey took a picture of this on my head, but honestly,
no one needs to see that.

The public was nice to me, the atmosphere was generally happy, and I mentioned my two pieces of cake, right?  Excellent day.

I was sort of feeling sentimental about the end of my thirties yesterday.  Today I'm attempting to embrace my new decade.  Um, so that's the end of my whining about it.  Probably.  Maybe.  I guess we'll see.

No comments: