Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Zero Waste Wednesday: Coffee! part I

You guys, I love coffee. I love it. There are no words to adequately describe the way I truly feel about those magic beans. Coffee is the highlight of my morning.

And afternoon.

And sometimes evening.

I just really love coffee is what I'm saying. It's probably not surprising that the bulk of my Christmas gifts this year were in the form of coffee cards. (BEST. GIFT. EVER.)

In our little tourist trap of a town, we're lucky to have a few coffee roasters. Not all of them open their doors to the public, but my favorite one happens to (um, that might be why it's my favorite, come to think of it), and the owners, aside from being super chill and awesome, allow me to bring in my reusable container for my coffee fix. And then punch my card so I get a free pound after every 10.

My jar holds roughly 1.25 pounds, which equals about a month of beans in Trishaville. Let me walk you through the process:

1. Peg's behind the counter! She's so great. We chat.
2. She takes my jar and weighs it to find the tare, like so:

My jar is apparently heavier than the coffee it holds.

3. She takes it in back to fill it up with Decaf Sumatra, my favorite.
4. I pet the coffee dog for a while, but feel bad when I scare him with my scarf.

Source.
Not THE dog, but a near identical representation.

5. Peg comes back with my jar and sets it on the scale again.

Hi, pretty beans!

6. As you can see from the photo, the scale is set up for tare, so it subtracts the weight of the jar from the weight of the beans on its own. Pretty smart, scale!

7. I had over my credit card. Buying this locally roasted coffee is more expensive than buying a plastic bin of some industrial coffee, but I don't care. It's totally worth it. Then Peg punches my stamp card and I pat the dog one last time and that's that.

It's really not that hard.

I've also seen people come in with a recycled paper bag. We'll call that Plan B.

Pros
COFFEE!
Locally roasted
Good relationships with its growers and treats them fairly, which is important to me
Tastes great
Less filling (wait, no, that's a beer commercial)
Nothing to recycle or throw away later

Cons
Truthfully, it's an extra step, going to a roaster instead of just getting it in the grocery store. Although...

P.S. You could do the same thing at the grocery store with a bulk coffee display. Con negated! 

No comments: