Friday, February 20, 2015

Light 2015: Yoga edition

You'd think Skilly would be all about Cat Pose, but he's more of a
Shavasana kind of guy.

Last month I worked to get my food clutter under control, and that has been an ongoing process. I'm still planning meals around what's in the freezer and pantry, and while the freezer remains alarmingly full, the pantry is looking great. I'm purposely only buying what's on my list AND only single items. No stocking up, you guys. It goes against the grain, but it's kind of liberating.

I have a feeling it will continue to be something I have to work at.

This month, I decided to add yoga to my morning routine. I love yoga--it makes my long dumb limbs and joints feel so great afterwards, helps keep my anxiety under control, and helps keep my overall outlook sunny. Ish. Sunny-ish. Not that I never have a bad day after yoga. Just that I'm able to keep it in perspective.

Most of the time. Again, it's a work in progress. ;)

I am not really a morning person, but if I leave my practice until after work, it just doesn't happen. I'm tired. Plus, with everyone in the house running around, it's kind of hard to concentrate.

And I have enough trouble concentrating as it is.

Also: Girls, quit stomping. Jeez. It's like I'm living with Paul Bunyan and Babe.

This post is getting away from me. Let me get to the point (I know, shocking!): I have found that moving yoga to the very beginning of my day works great for me. While Eric is in the shower, I'm on my mat. It might only be 20 minutes, but that's better than nothing, and still gives me all the benefits listed above. It's peaceful and it's quiet, and is a nice way to wake up, actually.

(And this week I've been making deals with myself to stay in bed just a little longer... which probably means I need some accountability, even if so far I haven't succumbed to temptation. Thus the post. Thank you, internet friends!)

When I have time, like on the weekends, I treat myself to a longer session a la Dr. Melissa West. I got very lucky when I started my online yoga quest because hers were maybe the third videos I'd tried. And I've never turned back. I like her style--her motto is "real yoga for real people" (or something to that effect), and she's just fun. She's also a great teacher and apparently a really nice person because she's got over 250 free one-hour yoga sessions on her YouTube channel. I've learned so much by practicing with her... solo... in my living room.

Anyway, go look her up if you're on the fence about yoga. Or maybe if you're totally stressed out about now. You're welcome.

I'm trying to work on concentrating (that really is a problem for me on multiple levels) on my breathing when I practice--my mind likes to wander freely and NOT on my breathing--and some days that's easier than others. Some days I just embrace the monkey mind (Melissa says that a lot) and get on with it. Also: My flexibility is terrible, but it's getting better. I think. Well, I hope.

Anyway. Yoga. Every day. Who knew I could actually accomplish this? I'm kind of proud of myself, if you want to know the truth.

No comments: