Monday, September 28, 2015

September Pointless Lists

Super moon! I was playing with camera settings last night and
this picture was the winner. Still kind of terrible.

I wish I could think of something witty or at the very least poetic to say about September, but all that's coming to mind is that I wish I had one more day to my weekend because I'm still pretty tired and that would be awesome.

I guess I'll have to make due with our school district's late start Mondays.

Pointless list  time!

Books read
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas. Oh, you guys, the bliss and the heartache that comes from finally reading a book you've waited months for. Bliss because YAY, and heartache because now the waiting continues again until the next installment. Maybe I just need to find books with shorter story arcs?

Nah.

Anyway, LOVE. It's a great story, this is a great book, and you all need to start reading the whole thing right now. I actually read it twice, as is the Trisha way. I'm too impatient to read carefully the first go, and then the second time I can be all smug because I get the foreshadowing et al.

And I do smug really well.

And hey, remember how I decided to start using our library's ebook service at the end of July so I could read lots of books but not go broke? I didn't even get ONE book on my list this month. I just checked my account and I'm still numbers 2 to 6 on the waiting list for all my chosen titles. So boring. What's even the point?

Light update
This month my plan was to go through my stuff again and get rid of All The Things, inspired by trying to clean out my grandparents' house. I didn't get as far as I'd hoped with this, but I didn't do too badly, either. It ended up being more cleaning than cleaning out, but maybe the best thing to come out of all this has been the mindset of: If I bring this home, how am I going to get rid of it?

You can leave all sorts of crap at the store when you think about it that way.

Anyway, having my house consistently clean has been very good on my psyche. I get a little overwhelmed by chaos.

Oh, and P.S., I continued to pull photos onto USB drives and off my hard drive. This has mostly worked great, except my 2013 drive is unrecognizable when I plug it into the computer, and I'm not really sure what to do about that. I guess I need a better system ... but what?

Project 333 update
The bookend seasons of spring and fall are the hardest for me to deal with when it comes to a capsule wardrobe. Not that it means I go much over my 33-item goal. Just that I don't really follow the three-months-and-then-you-switch-out-again rule.

Early September, the weather changed from hotter than the fires of hell to freezing cold. Well, upper 60ºs and 70ºs, but when you're used to the 90ºs, that's kind of a shocker to the ol' body. So I went through my closet and wardrobe about 25 days before I was "supposed" to and made it into part of my Light project. Because I can do whatever I want.

And I think that's okay. I've learned in the two years since I've started this whole mess that it's not so much about the rules as it is about reaping the benefits of a small wardrobe.

While we're on the subject, here's a great post from Janice at the Vivienne Files: How to Create Your Capsule Wardrobe. She has a different perspective.

Abby update
I'd ask Abby how she's doing, but I don't think she'd answer. She's taking really hard classes this term (AP Chem and trig ... good lord) and with her class president responsibilities and homecoming week, it's been an interesting  month.

I wish she didn't put so much pressure on herself, but that's just kind of how she's wired.

Johanna update
Johanna and I traveled to my niece's wedding shower on this past Saturday. Here's the card Jo drew for Rachel:

It was A Big Hit at the party.

Eric update
I just asked Eric what his favorite part of the month was, and he said, "The start of football. A couple good hikes. Getting ready for deer season. Hanging out with my girls." Huh. I think we've all learned something.

Things I canned/froze
Peaches! A pint for my grandma and 6 quarts for Eric.
... And that's pretty much it. Disappointing.

Supernatural update
Abby is way ahead of me now and on Season 9. I have no idea what is going on. She's a brat.

No comments: