Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Cracker Project: Scandinavian Oatmeal Crackers

So I've been a little weak on the Cracker Project front.  I've come to the conclusion that I should have started the Cake Project instead, because who doesn't love cake?  Plus it's just less fussy.

Still and all, I am no quitter (why is my husband laughing?), even though I forgot to make crackers last month and then in April my cracker was actually a tortilla.  So THIS month I figured I had better get on the stick early and pound this thing out.

Thus, Scandinavian Oatmeal Crackers from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book.  And hey, it's online, so here's the link.

Side note: I got this cookbook in 1999 when I was pregnant with Abby.  I write in my cookbooks, so I can tell you what cakes I made for Johanna and Abby's birthdays, or when Terrine and I made gingerbread cookies when she was three and I was babysitting her every day.

Abby is bored today, apparently, so she helped.  She rolled out the dough and cut out the circle shapes.  Until she decided she had better things to do.  Well, she's 12.  Johanna decided she wanted to help too (FYI, if that kid says my name ONE MORE TIME I will lose it) so she's on Flour Patrol.  I think we all know how that turned out.

Abby, pre-Flour Patrol

The verdict: Um, wow.  These are really quite good.  They taste like an oaty wheat thin (spell check hates the word "oaty," by the way).  And since this recipe makes a ton, they'd be fun to put out at a shower or party.

The dough was pretty dreamy to work with--I thought maybe it was too dry, but apparently not because it rolled out nice and thin without any help from parchment paper.  (The earth thanks you, BHG.)  I sprinkled the tops with finishing salt because I haven't had anything to sprinkle it on since I made Wheat Thins in February.

First batch.  Aren't they cute?

"I have a quote for your blog," Eric just said.  "Those crackers are just too good and they'll never last."

"They WILL last!" says Johanna.  "One per piece."  (What?)

"They're really, really good," says Abby.

So yeah.  Definite keeper.

No comments: