Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I didn't mean to call you that

Wow people, I am tired* and vaguely close to tears.  I'm not kidding.  It's probably because today was my last volunteer day in Johanna's classroom.  School isn't out until next Friday, but I'm working full time all week.**  No field day help from me then, which is pretty awesome now that I think about it because field day is tiresome, especially if the weather is bad.

I hate change.  End of school means I can sleep in, sure, but it also means my babies will be in second and eighth grades.  What. Ever.  Our nephew is graduating from high school in a couple of days and I remember when he was born--on the day I flunked my first math test at college.  If he can grow up so fast, than what hope do my girls have?

*So for whatever reason I slept for sucks Monday night.  I might have gotten five hours, but that seems sort of optimistic.  In times like these, obviously I turn to Facebook.  Misery loves company, yo.

Trisha 
Sleeping is boring. It's way more fun to just toss and turn all night.
 · 



That's ANOTHER Stacey, not the Stacey I Work With.  Anyway, last night was better, but Eric and I could have both used another couple of hours to make up for the previous crap fest.

**I'm working full time next week... well, actually starting tomorrow... because Stacey I Work With's son is graduating on Friday, too, and she's taking time off for that, plus all next week for various family things.  Anyway, because her baby is graduating, I thought she needed a Graduation Survival Kit:



The girls helped--Abby wrapped the box because I lack the patience and the skillz, and then she took care of the top artwork.  Johanna drew on the sides of the box (not shown, oh well) and then cut out a heart and wrote a special message: "We hope that you are happy rain or shine!"  She was also in charge of arranging the items.  Then, I won't lie, the girls started fighting because Abby didn't want Johanna's heart of the top of her box, so I sent them both to their rooms.  The quiet?  Was lovely.  I totally need to do that more often.

Anyway, here's what I put in, since I am sort of proud I could create something so darn darling  (between the dream and the reality falls the shadow, my friend.  Crafts tend to astonish me, and not in a good way):

  • Coffee (that's a duh, right?)
  • Chocolate covered almonds (her favorite)
  • Jelly Belly's (because Johanna thought she needed them.  YOU try arguing with that logic)
  • A jar of vanilla-pear butter from a local farm stand
  • A bar of soap (as a joke... her bathroom is being remodeled and the shower won't be ready in time to accommodate all their overnight guests.  She was lamenting having one working shower in the house)
  • Tissues (another duh)

I'm looking forward to giving Stacey her box this afternoon and trying not to think about the fact that I will be in charge of measuring the paper THREE TIMES while she's gone.  Denial is my superpower.

P.S. I had my cavities filled on Monday and my gums STILL hurt from the Novocaine.  While they were shooting me up they were all, relax!  And I was all, you take that huge freaking needle out of my mouth and then we'll talk about relaxing.  The upside is that they must not have given me much because my lips were "thawed out" by lunchtime and I treated myself to the best roast beef sandwich I've ever had in my life even if they messed up and put horseradish on it.  That didn't really set too well with me later, but you know what?  I survived.  Oh, and then I called Ann to see what she was up to and we had a nice visit.  Chemo is over!  I love good news.

Lit, My Own Worst Enemy.  I've been humming this all morning.  It just makes me laugh.

No comments: