Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The colors conflicted

I've been working full time lately, and I have to tell you, having a morning "off" to be at home is pretty damn amazing.  Oh, sure, I've got laundry and dishes and a whole bunch of crumbs to vacuum up from Johanna's hummus-and-cracker dinner the other night, but it's quiet, and I have a pot of coffee at my disposal, and I have a whole three hours I to myself.  It's like a Wednesday miracle.

This past Saturday, my Aunt Ann and Uncle John came to watch Johanna play a coach pitch game.  It was FREEZING.  How freezing?  Glad you asked:


Yesterday Johanna had a game and we were all in t-shirts.  June is awesome.  Hey, P.S. Jo plucked two balls out of the air for outs, although this being coach pitch, the kids still stayed on base.  She also got three solid hits.  I don't want to brag, but I'm totally bragging.

Anyway, though, Saturday's game was not pleasant.  I actually wimped out and watched most of it from the concession stand.  Afterwards we were all happy to head to my parents' house for coffee and sandwiches and general warmth.  We might have been a little too warm though because after we ate we were all just ready for a nap.  We discussed maybe going for a walk... or watching a movie... and then all of a sudden an hour or two had passed and we were still on the couch contemplating our options, so Ann was all, let's go shopping, and Abby and I were like, sold!

Ann and I ended up getting matching pants of questionable orientation.  They were in the dress pants section, but honestly, I couldn't tell if they were slacks or jeans.  But look, they had two pairs in a tall and in our size, and how do you pass that up?  Even if I can't wear jeans to the office? 

So anyway, fast forward to yesterday, and I wore my slacks/jeans.  I felt like a rebel.  I was pretty sure I was going to get a talking to by the Powers That Be.  When no one was around to overhear, I asked Deb in Reception (not to be confused with Deb in Sales) what she thought, and she was all, I didn't even notice, but those are totally slacks.  So I felt better after that, and no, I did not get in trouble.  Those pants are my new favorites.  Now I just need the story of how Ann's pants went over with her boss.  That's a joke because she IS the boss.

Quick Johanna story: Yesterday morning she dreamed Grandpa was a Redcoat, you know, like the British.  And there were soldiers in our house, and she tried to say something, but then she woke up.  I suppose the Revolutionary War is a nice change of pace from the Civil War, especially since no one is getting gunned down by a cannonball.  What's it going to take for that kid to have a dream about ponies? 

Quick Abby story: I left my Kindle at work yesterday on accident and about had a heart attack, so Abby and I went to get it after dinner.  She was on a comedic roll.  If she ever decides to do stand up she's already got a whole routine centered around menstruation.  (That seems to be a reoccurring theme.)

Linkin Park, BURN IT DOWN.  Oh, Linkin Park.  I love you.

No comments: