Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hardly anything there for you to see

Yesterday I woke up at 5 a.m. and this morning at 6.  What. The. Heck.  I'm rested, though, so maybe it just means I'm actually sleeping?  Weird.

Since I'm up, I may as well write.  Or just stare at these few sentences and drink my coffee and listen to my new Linkin Park album, which is more truthful at the moment.

Okay, first things first: I have never been a fan of my crock pot, but this month I discovered that tossing in a pork roast and letting it cook all day is a thing of beauty.  I've done it twice now.  Yesterday I came home, shredded the meat, added homemade barbecue sauce, and served it on warmed ciabatta rolls.  Um, that was nice.  My crock pot has sat unused for the last five years at least.  I'm thinking maybe I'm in love with it now.

Second thing: Who needs lettuce?  My patch is overrun.  Come over and help yourself.  It's organic and even has a few slug-munched holes to prove it.  On every leaf.  Thanks, slugs.

Thirdly: Today we're FINALLY supposed to get into the 80s.  The rest of the country is on fire and we're fighting for 80?  What is wrong with this picture?  Never fear, tomorrow is supposed to be back to cool and cloudy.  You'll find me in the corner, weeping.

Fourth:  Fourthly?  Spell check likes "fourthly," which is surprising.  I suspect it isn't working this morning.  Spell check is like Mikey, it hates everything.  HA!  That's a little retro commercial humor.  You're welcome.

Fifth: Side tracked.  Sorry.

Next: Week two of summer vacation.  I have yet to research Australian boarding schools, so that's positive.  I won't lie, I've been whack about signing the girls up for activities.  I'd like Johanna to take an art class and swimming lessons, and I suppose there has to be something similar out there for Abby too.  The problem is I just like hanging out at my house and figure that the girls should, too, and therefore find it hard to stir myself into action.  Except.  Too much time at home makes them go at each other like wolves.  That isn't as cute as you'd think it'd be.

Lastly: Johanna and I got ourselves some new free poser iPad apps on Sunday.  My favorite: Martha Stewart Craft Studio, normally $4.99 but free until July 8.  It's like scrapbooking without having to clean up.  Hey Mom, we could totally make Gram and Gramp's 70th Anniversary invitations using this thing...

Johanna's favorite is called Math Puppy.  Solve math problems to get a BINGO.  Hey, whatever works.  She's got subtraction down, but she needs some extra addition practice, so this is great.

I lied about the lastly thing.  Another of Abby's drawings:


She's into anime, clearly.  She's also taken to composing poems about menstruation.  My favorite:

My period gives me an edge.
I'm gong to push you off that ledge.

Linkin Park, Castle of Glass.  From the new Living Things album.  I think this one is my favorite.

No comments: