Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Forget short sleeves

**Update**
March 6, 2013. No one wants spring anyway. Oh, wait...
I'm tempted to follow Skilly's lead and just curl up in a ball and take a nap. It looks delightful. Instead I'm sitting here trying to decide what to write about while my stomach churns and Johanna's My Little Pony cartoon* plays right outside my door.

It's been a hell of a week is what I'm saying, and it's only Wednesday.

Johanna has been home since last Thursday with various ailments. First it was two days of pink eye. She recovered for the weekend, but then Monday morning she woke up complaining that her stomach hurt, she felt faint and dizzy and she was pretty sure she was going to throw up. I've learned to listen to her because when I don't, she tends to drive the lesson home in some dramatic fashion, like puking all over a hotel lobby (looking at you, Disneyland!). She hasn't thrown up, but she has no appetite and she's actually sitting still. Johanna is a constant whirl of motion and she refuels quite regularly, so the mere fact that she has no interest in foodstuffs of any sort and has been on the couch is alarming.

Also: What is up with the snow? This is our second day, although yesterday it didn't add up to much. The ground is now completely white. It's a bit hard to take because Monday was beautiful--I wore a short sleeve t-shirt!--and shivering isn't as fun as you'd think it'd be.

Well, the end, I guess. Fingers crossed Johanna is well by Friday because I actually volunteered to help at Skate Night. Oh, the irony if she's home and I'm not...

*For the record, she can watch The Mighty B! all she wants. The lead character is voiced by Amy Poehler and the dialog is awesome. That's a cartoon I can get behind.

**Update**
March 7 -- I need a mental health day, people, like, bad. Johanna is home AGAIN, but the good news is that she's more herself today than she has been for the past week, so that's a win. She even ate two hard-boiled eggs. The bad news is she's watching old Blue's Clues shows on the iPad, which I'm pretty sure means she's broken. Except it's not My Little Pony, so I can't complain. Much. Also, I still have a little crush on Steve.

I stopped by the school to get her homework this morning and was instantly surrounded by concerned classmates asking about Johanna. I was all, do you know how Johanna has a lot of energy?, and they were all, yes!, and then I was like, well, she's been just laying on the couch, and they were like, oooooh! Clearly they understood the severity of the situation, bless them.

The kind of bad news is that Abby is now complaining of various symptoms, and I would have kept her home from school today except she wants to go to a basketball game verses the other middle school this afternoon, so she was like, if I can keep myself from puking in Lily's parents' car, I can do this. Um, that's from back in January when we had Norovirus, but what she's failing to remember here is that she DID puke all over the couch when she finally made it home, so I'm not sure if this is a good analogy, all things considered.

Anyway, thank God for grandparents. They've gone above and beyond for a week now. Truly, we are blessed.

P.S. I should also report that even though it's like 35-degrees out, it's also sunny and mostly clear, which does a lot for my emotional well-being. But I still want that mental health day.

No comments: